Visit DIY Mobile Home Repair for Free Help

Heat tape and insulation

Q. Who typically installs heat tape and insulation? The folks who did the well work just strung the lines along the ground and they need to be winterized.

A. It would be better if the pipes were buried at least below the frost line, but check local recommendations for depth. I did my own heat tape. It is not hard to do. Just measure how long the exposed pipes are then get the length of heat tape to match and install per the instructions they usually recommend wrapping in aluminum foil before installing the tape. I then covered that with foam pipe wrap. You will need to call some insulation companies to see about getting the insulation installed if you don't want to DIY. I did my own, of course. That is also not difficult to do. Whether it is a single or double wide it goes in the same way, follow the instructions on the insulaton. R-19 or above would be good to use.